Sunday, February 8, 2009

Scary, Isn't It?


Scary, isn't it? The long hair. The beauty queen crown. The lipstick. All atop the body of a 3-month-old baby. What truths does something like a child's toy hold about American society? If dolls are talismans that embody our feelings as a culture, and propel us forward, then what, I ask you what, is happening with a specimen like this? It showed up in a thrift store bulk toy buy. Charlotte has a love/hate relationship with it. First she wants to hug it. Then she tosses it aside. I know, I know I've written far too much about Charlotte and dolls in this blog. But I am fascinated and, I admit it, a bit obsessed with the lore of dolls. And, again, I say, when I look at this doll: Scary, isn't it?

2 comments:

Taylor said...

There's a dissertation in there, Amy. :)

Also, this reminds me of that new TLC show about the little girl beauty pageants. Similarly creepy.

Amy Alexander said...

Yes, David calls this the Jon Benet doll.